VMware Cloud Community
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"No network Adapters were found"

Hi,

I am new to the VMware virtualization softwares and working on setting up the vSphere environment. I am on the initial stage of intalling ESXi 5.0 and boot up using an ESXi install CD but it throws an error "No Network Adapters were found".

I am using the Intel Desktop Board DH67CL having LAN support:

LAN support

Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mb/s) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Instead of using the default NIC, we can also work with adding some commonly available NIC to the motherboard which is compatible with the VMware ESXi 5.0.would it work fine? If so which one do you recoomend for this purpose?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

the 82579v drivers can be added to the installation cd, to support your onboard adapter.

check this:

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/12/13/vmware-esxi-5-whitebox-nic-support/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It should work..driver will detect the one  (if supported nic is avilable whether its on board or not) and provide ip

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

according to other users in the forums, the Intel PRO/1000 GT is an affordable adapter which is known as working well with ESXi. If this is a lab setup for learning purposes, you may also consider to set this up as a virtual environment on VMware Workstation, which allows you to evaluate most options on just one piece of hardware. See e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab

André

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

the 82579v drivers can be added to the installation cd, to support your onboard adapter.

check this:

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/12/13/vmware-esxi-5-whitebox-nic-support/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi pointer_00

Welcome to the communites

Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Controller is coming under HCL list .

please check on BIOS inbuilt device and finD NIC option should be enable if not please enable it .

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to everyone.

The customized ISO image resolved our issue Smiley Happy

Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello André,

A comment you made in this thread caught my eye "set this up as a virtual environment on VMware Workstation, which allows you to evaluate most options on just one piece of hardware".

I'm a prior System Admin and current Network Engineer that has seen the writing on the wall for Cloud Computing in the Data Center.  I was reviewing posts on building a VSphere 5 whitebox server and came across your post.

It seems that from what you said, to get full functionality of esxi5 I would need more than one hardware box.  What would be the best setup, two servers and a shared storage appliance?

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can run ESXi 5 as a virtual machine in Workstation (or Player, which is free).

That allows you to test all features, without having to stick to specific compatible hardware, which can be expensive.

You will only need to make sure your physical box has the right processor and enough memory.

Performance will be much lower, but if it's purely for testing/demoing, that may not be an issue.

I carry a whole virtual lab on my laptop, 2 ESXi hosts, Vcenter and an iSCSI storage appliance, all running in vMware Workstation.

At home i have just 1 host and Vcenter running in Player, because i only have 1 Workstation license; but they are basically the same product, Workstation just has some extra debugging and development features.

If you already have a whitebox that can run ESXi 5, you can build the virtual lab on that as well, that's what i have in the office. (2 ESXi hosts and Vcenter, storage is a freeware NAS appliance on another box).

So multiple hardware boxes aren't necessary, but will perform better.

0 Kudos