VMware Cloud Community
JasonOgle
Contributor
Contributor

"No bootable device" after successful ESXi 5 installation on Intel DG35EC desktop motherboard

So... Here's the deal. I have a desktop PC I'm using a test box for ESXi. The motherboard is an Intel DG35EC with G35 and ICH8 chipset. Back in the 4.1 U1 days I could install ESXi 4.1 w/ update 1 to direct attached SATA or USB and boot with no problem. Now, trying to move to ESXi 5, I can install just fine. No errors are noticed when installing to direct attached or USB - but, upon reboot of the host, I'm faced with "No bootable device" message for both SATA and USB. I've tried upgrading existing 4.1 installation and starting with a fresh ESXi 5 installation with the same results. Also double-checked that I'm at latest BIOS version for the board and even went to the trouble of downgrading one level, then back to lates just for giggles. I'll probably end up buying a new motherboard with a different chipset soon, but wanted to post a quick note about this to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

12 Replies
ldaprat
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the identical issue on an Intel DQ35J0 motherboard with SATA drives.   (ESXi 4.1 worked great on this system.)

did more research, found a solution that works for me.

With ESXi 5, ESX no longer uses MBR for boot, it has gone to GPT-based partitions instead.    Which is fine, if your BIOS (and mine) supported it correctly.      More details here:  http://communities.vmware.com/message/1822854?tstart=0

There are two ways past this:

1) try changing your BIOS to enable UEFI support - then re-install completely.     This did not work for me, I got purple screen of death when trying to do the ESXi install.    (I chalk this up to problems with UEFI implementation in the BIOS revision on my older motherboard.)

2) Re-install ESXi 5, and during initial install press Shift-O when prompted.   Add formatwithmbr to the options, proceed with install.

This second approach worked great for me, hope it helps.

-Michael

robertmanny1
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too using both a DP35DP and a D965WH (Both Intel boards).

Took me a bit to figure out how to "Add to the options" so here is exactly what to do hope this helps:

Press Shift+ O (not zero) when prompted early in the boot from cd process.

You'll see ">runweasel" in a little prompt area in the lower left of the screen.

Leave this in there, press space, then type in formatwithmbr and then press enter.

That's it.

Etched
Contributor
Contributor

Worked perfectly for me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
salmanearn
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea i am getting a error. During initial install I press Shift-O when prompted.I  Add formatwithmbr to the options, proceed with install. Soon after this when it start loading

/tboot.b00

I got this error

Multiboot header is not found

/tboot.b00: Kernal is either invalid or corrupted

Fatal error:36 (Bad Type)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Winne2
Contributor
Contributor

Woks perfect with Intel DB75EN

Thanks a lot!!!!!

After a half year i found this solution Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wlithgow
Contributor
Contributor

worked perfectly. good........thaks

0 Kudos
kernbits
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and good morning.

I have Intel DP35DP with updated bios.

I tried using formatwithmbr on a flash drive but no success. It Purple Screens.

I also tried it on a Sata Drive but the same results. I am assuming this is a SATA Controller or Chipset issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

0 Kudos
salmanearn
Contributor
Contributor

There could be multiple things ,the first thing i will recommend you to do is to clean your hard drive with g parted live iso ,clean every thing you can see & delete all the unknown partitions you see  .

Then proceeds with a clean installation after formatting with your recommended disk system , try this before doing any thing else .

Regards

Salmanearn    

0 Kudos
kernbits
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

I got Esxi 4.0 Update 4 installed and running on DP35DP (off SATA HD not, USB).

It seems to be working, loading and I can connect to it.

The installer boot option formatwithmbr Purplescreen of death every time.

0 Kudos
iTrey
Contributor
Contributor

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here.. With ESXi 5.5.0 (Update 1) out, that is what I used for the following:

- I am too using an Intel desktop board and the BIOS is old enough not to have any idea what GPT is.

- This method works on 5.5

- there are 2 points at which you can apply the "formatwithmbr" command": At the initial boot selection screen (blue box with minimal text) - just hit Tab to edit options and add "formatwithmbr" to the small amount of preexisting text and hit enter to start the installation OR at the next pausing state of the installer (shortly after the bootloader) you can do SHIFT+O and type the  "formatwithmbr". If you chose the first method, "formatwithmbr" should already be present in the text field next to ">runweasel".

- OR as a temporary fix, if you have already installed the server, you can use the bootable installer disk to launch the ESXi partition even if it is GPT. (which I discovered by accident)

0 Kudos
tomcat1101
Contributor
Contributor

i also got this error,when i install ESXi 5.5 into HP N54L Microserver.

who can tell me what to do next?

/tboot.b00

Multiboot header is not found

/tboot.b00: Kernal is either invalid or corrupted

Fatal error:36 (Bad Type)

0 Kudos
pjpmccarthy52
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! 

This worked for me.  I was finally able to install ESXi v5.5 onto a Lenovo ideacentre 300S-08IHH. Performed a number of installs with various combinations of UEFI settings and legacy settings with no success.  Adding the formatwithmbr option to the boot options did the trick. 

0 Kudos