VMware Cloud Community
MarkusAngerer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Lost connectivity to storage device" on a locally installed SAS controller?

Hi,

I have two HP Proliant DL380 G6 installed with HP customized ESXi 5.5 U2. Both machines have an internal HP SmartArray P410i SAS controller onboard and I have added a second P410 controller which is attached to a secondary drive cage. In the first drive cage I have a disk array and in the second I have an array plus a separate disk for this testing.

On both machines when I boot up the system recognizes both controllers and diskarrays and datastores but after a while it looses the connection to the datastore2 which is the array in cage two. The individual disk is also gone but since there is no datastore created on this one it is not reported.

I had the first server started once and after about 4 days the second datastore was gone. After that I shut the machine down and started the second one but it was the same. About 4 to 4,5 days and the datastore failed. The only hardware that I swap between the two machines are the disks itself, everything else is installed locally and therefore replaced when I swap server.

Before I installed ESXi I had the machine booting a Windows Server 2008 R2 with HP drivers and I had no issues for about a week. Because if this, and because the only thing that is used in both server are the disks I'm tempted to think it is not a hardware issue. (I added the single disk in cage two to see if it is the disk array that fails or everything in the cage.)

After the last reboot I created a few screenshot with everything working fine and now I added a few more pictures with my disks/datastores failed. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but maybe someone could give me a hint of which direction I need to investigate further. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

best regards, Markus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5.5 U2 contains HPSA .74, which is not working with P410i. Upgrade to HPSA .84 or downgrade to HPSA .60. + upgrade firmware to something newer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

5.5 U2 contains HPSA .74, which is not working with P410i. Upgrade to HPSA .84 or downgrade to HPSA .60. + upgrade firmware to something newer.

0 Kudos
MarkusAngerer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi maaca,

thanks for you quick reply, I'll try that as soon as I can. I thought I get around that by using the HP customized image but it seems as if I have to get my hands dirty anyway 🙂

Do you think HPSA version 5.5.0.106 is good as that is the only one I can currently find on HP's website? Or is it safer do keep searching for a copy of 5.5.0.84? found it!

kind regards, Markus

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I haven't tried .106, yet. But planning to test in lab soon.

0 Kudos
MarkusAngerer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not that I'm actually surprised you were right with your suggestion but I wanted to confirm in case someone else comes across this issue. Using HPSA 5.5.0.84 and everything works fine.

0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for update.

Anyway, 5.5.0.106 is running in our lab for some days and it seems to be stable also.

0 Kudos