VMware Cloud Community
Danizh007
Contributor
Contributor

"Local" file missing

Hello,

I tried to recover the password of Esxi through ubuntu as watched some videos on youtube but it didn't work.

When I started server again I upgraded it to 6.5 from 5.5. Then again I tried to recover password by using ubuntu but it didn't work. Then again I tried to get back to 5.5 but failed as when it was in the process it showed pink screen.

I then tried to upgrade it to 6.5 again to check if it will recover but after completing 92% it's showing error cannot find "Local" file "it's the same file used I edited to get the password but seems I messed during the process.

Can I recover back Esxi  "I got my password now" as there are many machines and storage linked to it.

What should be my next step?

Thanks

Danish

4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Danish,

It may be less trouble to just re-install ESXi.

Your VMs and storage should still be accessible provided you don't install over or mess with the existing VMFS partitions that these reside on.

Maybe try install on a USB stick or some such just to be cautious if you are not sure where these partitions should be installed.

That pink screen you saw is called a PSOD, this can occur when using unsupported hardware or due to bugs, this is not always a permanent issue and rebooting/attempting install of the same version again may complete without issues.

Bob

Danizh007
Contributor
Contributor

Hello  Bob,

Tried to reinstall it but didn't work it's showing error while reinstalling. "Failed to mount boot tardisks".

Thanks

Danish

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Danish,

Did you try re-installing on fresh medium (e.g. USB-drive)?

Are you positive that this new installation is being selected during boot?

What version/build/ISO did you try re-installing as I noticed someone else has encountered something similar when on 6.5 GA:

http://mr.tarq.us/log/?p=405

Bob

0 Kudos
Danizh007
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Bob,

Thanks,  re-installed the Esxi - helped.

Thanks,

Danish

0 Kudos