VMware Cloud Community
bluetaurus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Internal Error" promoting a virtual W2008 R2 Server to DC / dcpromo

Hey everyone,

this is my first post here and i hope you can help me.... i'm not a newbie, but i'm stuck here and spent hours searching for tips but nothing helped.

First of all my setup:

New HP Proliant DL 380 G6, Xeon 5520, 16 GB RAM, 4x 146 GB HDD

VMware ESXi 4.0 (current version) installed via CD

HP Windows 2008 R2, Standard, 64 Bit (OEM/ROK version)

My Goal: Setup up of a new Win2008 R2 domain controlle, adding to the current domain, migrating the server roles from the existing physical W2003 Server to the new virtual W2008 Server.

First of all i had the problem that the OEM version of Windows 2008 Server did not recognize the HP Host, Installation was aborted with(No valid HP Hardware).

I managed this by adding: SMBIOS.reflect=true to the guest properties.

Installation was sucessfull. Then i added the server to the domain, installed all windows updates and checked the configuration.

Next step was the promotion of the server to a domain controller.

I used adprep to promote the forest and domaincontrollers. Current state of the forest and domain is Windows 2003.

I ran dcpromo providing the credentials of the domain admin. The wizard is finished but the process is aborted at the step:

Active Directory could not create the NTDS Settings object for this

domain controller CN=NTDS Settings,CN=SRV11,CN=Servers,CN=Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=XXX, DC=local on the remote domain controller gk01.xxx.local . Ensure the provided network credentials have sufficient permissions.

The entry in dcpromo.log:

"[INFO] EVENTLOG (Error): NTDS General / Interne Verarbeitung : 1168

Internal error: An Active Directory Domain Services error has occurred.

Additional Data

Error value (decimal):

Error value (hex):

c0000001

Internal ID:

300162a"

The evenlog of the current domain controller shows no errors. Only successfull login/logout messages and serveral service messages without errors.

I spent some hours searching for tips and tried the following:

- Rebooting the servers

- Disabling Firewalls

- Uninstalling DNS and AD Role and try again

- Setting local Administrator password to the same as domain Administrator

- Uninstalling VMware Tools

Thanks in advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any chance you have different MTU's somewhere in the network between the physical and virtual machine?

Are all your FSMO roles up?

All clocks synchronized?

You could also try to create a new AD account and add it to Domain and Enterprise Admin groups and use that during dcpromo.

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dnetz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any chance you have different MTU's somewhere in the network between the physical and virtual machine?

Are all your FSMO roles up?

All clocks synchronized?

You could also try to create a new AD account and add it to Domain and Enterprise Admin groups and use that during dcpromo.

Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
matt12021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are both the 2003 and 2008 box in the same AD site and\or subnet? If not is there any type of IPS or firewall in between?

bluetaurus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys,

thanks for the hints!

All servers are local without firewalls or different subnets.

FSMO Roles are up, MTU Values are the same, clocks had been synchonized.

Next i added a user "dcpromo" with membership: admins, domain admins, orga admins and used this user and it worked!!! :smileylaugh:

Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos