Contributor

"DHCP Lookup Failed"

ESXi Version 6.5.0 Build 4887370

Dell PowerEdge R710
2x Intel Xeon CPU x5660 @ 2.80 GHz
128 GB Memory

The Problem:
1. This server had been running normally until a recent power outtage

2. Instead of listing a home address of 192.168.xxx.xx, it is defaulting to 169.254.141.138 (Waiting for DHCP...)
3. Gives the following message: "Warning: DHCP Lookup failed. You may be unable to access this system until you customize its network configuration"

Attempted Solutions
4. Restart ESXi - restart completes, still shows as in #2 above, still gives error as in #3 above
5. Restart Management Network - reports success; returning to the main screen gets home address of 0.0.0.0 while it (presumably) is attempting to reach DHCP for assignment. Returns error in #3 above after waiting 90 seconds or so.

Additional Information

6. There is not an IT department or network department to consult - we're a small (read as ~8 people) firm
7. I am an admitted neophyte in regards to this, so kindly bear with my ignorance - I don't know what I don't know, so I'm hoping someone has the patience and knowledge to assist here Smiley Happy
8. Tried "Test Management Network" option...ESXi attempts ping 208.67.222.xxx and 208.67.220.xxx and fails at both
9/ I've attempted to do my due diligence and scoured the web for similar cases - and I see similar issues, but never a solution. I've checked through the forums, as well as for any documentation or tutorials but have not found anything, yet.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to lend time and assistance. They are very much appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

it's never easy to determine what's causing specific issues after an unplanned power outage.

Anyway, some thoughts:

• check whether your DHCP server is reachable, and can assign IP addresses as expected.
  • check the physical network port (e.g. plug in a notebook to see whether it receives a DHCP address)
  • consider assigning static IP settings to the ESXi host (as you probably do it with other servers too)

André

0 Kudos
lukas_eng
Contributor
Contributor

Have you managed to fix this issue? I am facing the same one.

0 Kudos