VMware Cloud Community
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Current bootbank /bootbank is not verified" error when trying to upgrade to from esxi5.5-5.5_update01 to esxi5.5-5.5_update02

I upgraded one vmware box from  esxi5.5-5.5_update01 to esxi5.5-5.5_update02. All went well. When I tried to do the other, using this command: "esxcli software vib update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/52173efc-480e07bf-3f84-d067e5f1ec16/install_files/update-from-esxi5.5-5.5_update02.zip" it fails with this error:

[InstallationError]

Current bootbank /bootbank is not verified and most likely a serious problem was encountered during boot, it is not safe to continue altbootbank install. bootstate is 1, expected value is 0.

Please refer to the log file for more details.

I tried running "/sbin/backup.sh 0" and then running the update command but that did not work.

I tried running:

vmkfstools -P /altbootbank

Then dosfsck -a -w /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba1:C0:T0:L0:5

and then running the update command but that did not work.

Nothing fancy about the setup. The host boots off of a local Adaptec controller card with a pair of RAID 1 drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Arch

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update to the above:

I checked the file  " /bootbank/boot.cfg" and found an entry that said

bootstate=1

I changed it to

bootstate=1 and was able to do the upgrade.

After the upgrade was over, I found that the entry resets itself to bootstate=1

Any ideas why?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The bootstate values in boot.cfg refers to different modes actually. Normally for a fresh installed host, the bootstsate value will be 0. After update the bootstate will change to 1.

The bootstate values can be 0,1,2..4.

0: Normally for a fresh host. This means that he bootbank has booted successfully.

1: The bootbank is updated, but not booted .

4: New profile has been staged to bootbank, but update is not finished yet

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos