VMware Cloud Community
sheetzdw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

quick question about DMZ and networking

PLEASE help, I am a newbie to vm and need help fast...

I have a firewall well configured and configuring 1 ESXi 5.5 server for testing only at home...

My firewall has 2 ports for  internal LAN and one connected to my ISP

on the internal ports I have

Port 1 LAN  local ip scheme with DHCP server running on the firewall

Port 2 is DMZ I have 4 static ip to use for remote, mail, web server

on ESX server I have 2 nics 1 plugged into DMZ port and 1  into LAN firewalled port

what is hte easiest way to separate these 2 and get them working

example internal vms should not ahve access to DMZ and will only have LAN nic added to teh vm

but webservers and mail server should have both nics connected and each nic gets the appropriate IP address entered based on which nic and network it uses

Can I use 1 vm switch and 1 vm network? or 1 vm switch and create 2 networks? how do I configure nics and vmnetworks to communicate properly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you have two separate nics, one internal and one dmz, you'll need two vSwitches. Each with one nic. The first will have your internal network and management, the other for the Dmz.

Then, you'll need to create the proper portgroups.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you have two separate nics, one internal and one dmz, you'll need two vSwitches. Each with one nic. The first will have your internal network and management, the other for the Dmz.

Then, you'll need to create the proper portgroups.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
sheetzdw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK did that... now it works fine.... thanks!

Capture.PNG

this is my mailserver with both nics added

Capture2.PNG

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad you got it working.

0 Kudos