VMware Cloud Community
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

qla2xxx module doesn't load on boot

Hello,

can anyone help me how to make the qla2xxx module load at boot time? I installed the drivers after installing esxi, could this be some sort of problem?

br,

uros

0 Kudos
6 Replies
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if the driver is available as part of the image, then it will get loaded automatically to vmkernel if the supported hardware peripheral is found during ESXI bootup. What's the QLogic adapter do you use in your system?

0 Kudos
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using an older QLE220 card from Qlogic. I don't think it's officially supported, but since it's a lab setup I don't really care. I installed the drivers via vSphere CLI using the Qlogic packet from their website.

I used this card in former lab installations and it never showed up in storage adapters, I always had to edit the qla2xxx.xml file in /etc/vmware/pciid. In 4.1 I can't even edit the qla2xxx.xml file, since after rebooting the host it is the same as it was before the editing. But still, if I load the module manually via the vmkload-mod it shows up in storage adapters as "SP232-based 4Gb".

br,

uros

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What process did you use to load the driver?  I would first try to load the driver with vmkload_mod.  if that works then you can start to look at modifying files.

0 Kudos
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I used vmkload_mod...

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll want to create a custom oem file for this - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/customize_oem_tgz.php.  You just  have to edit simple.map.  PCI.ids is just used to display the name for the adapter.  Simple.map controls what driver ESXi will try to load for a device.

0 Kudos
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link Dave, I allready checked that page out, guess I wasn't really paying attention to the bottom of the page. My bad... I will try it tomorow...

br,

uros

0 Kudos