VMware Cloud Community
GTCG
Contributor
Contributor

put ESXi hosts in VLAN

Hello!

Soon we will merge with another company and I have been asked to fetch their ESXI infrastructure and integrate it in our company network and leave them running for another 2-3 years for some data consultation. Needless to say: those hosts are in an entirely different subnet. So I was thinking to create a VLAN so solve that problem.

It's only like 2 ESXI hosts with a few VM's on them, but how do I tackle this issue? I was thinking to do the following:

On both hosts I would create a new port group to add the VLAN and connect the VM's to the new port group by changing the NIC settings of the VM's
Then I would configure the ports on my switch and add them to this newly created VLAN and connect my ESXI hosts to the switch

Do I have to change something in the management console? Am I overlooking something here?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

just creating a VLAN may not solve that.

How does the network configuration on the hosts look like today? Are VLANs already configured, or is everything (VM port groups, and VMKernel port groups) in the same subnet?
How do you want/need to access the hosts/VMs, i.e. are you going to route the subnets, or will the systems remain in a separate subnet?

André

0 Kudos
GTCG
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply!

There are no VLANS created at the moment on those hosts. Everything is in the same subnet

I would like to keep the hosts and VM's in the same subnet where they are now (so I don't have to go around change IP addresses and stuff) and access the VM's via 1 workstation which I will put in the same VLAN als the ESXI-infreastructure

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case there should be nothing that you need to reconfigure on the ESXi hosts. Simply create a VLAN on your physical switch(es), and connect the hosts to access/untagged ports for that VLAN.

André

0 Kudos