VMware Cloud Community
JRink
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

problem with vicfg-vmknic command

Trying to create VMKernel ports using 9000 MTU based on the vSphere ESXi 4.1 ISCSI GUIDE.

Page 42 states:

Procedure

1 On the vSphere CLI, run the vicfg-vmknic command to create a VMkernel connection with Jumbo Frame  support.

vicfg-vmknic -a -I

ip address -n netmask -m MTU port group name

So I do the following:

vicfg-vmknic.pl -add -ip 10.0.0.51 -netmask 255.255.0.0 -mtu 9000 VMKernel-iSCSI1

It reports back "failed to add vmkernel nic: A specific parameter was not correct" then, "Vim.Host.VirtualNic.Specifications.Ip"

and brings me back to the CLI.   what is wrong here?

When that failed, I also tried to manually create the port groups ahead of time on the vSwitch1.  (The VMWare docs DONT tell you you need to do this however).  I still get the same error when trying to create the VMKernels regardless...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

CHECK THIS LINK. http://blog.ntgconsult.dk/2010/02/vsphere4-esx4-how-to-configure-iscsi-software-initiator-on-esx4-ag...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of things.  When the paramater is the full word you use a double hyphen - so it's --add and not -add. I would also enclose the port group in quotes as you have a hyphen in the name.

0 Kudos