ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  problem with keeping time in ESXi 4

Posted Apr 14, 2011 01:30 PM

Hello,

I have NTP servers configured at my network (2 Windows 2003 servers) that sync their time with external NTP pools. in the network also are a set of managed ESX(i) 3.5 and 4.1 servers. all VMs are set to sync time using OS not VMware Tools according to best practices. i dont have issues with VM time or either ESX 3.5 servers, but i have an issue with my ESXi 4.1 servers that i already configured as NTP clients that sync with the 2 Windows NTP servers. I keep seeing a time difference between 2-3 minutes on these machines, besides, when i try to alter the time back to the correct value, upon restart of the host the time difference is back again.

please advise.

• 2.  RE: problem with keeping time in ESXi 4

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2011 01:31 PM

check it http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Timekeeping-In-VirtualMachines.pdf

open vmware tool and check box syncro of time check in this guide

• 3.  RE: problem with keeping time in ESXi 4

• 4.  RE: problem with keeping time in ESXi 4

Posted Apr 14, 2011 01:48 PM

Thanks Mauro for the reply.

The first pdf link didnt include much information about how i can solve this as it speaks mainly about syncing your VMs - which i dont have issues with.

I have a question about the second link, i qoute; "For VMware ESX, run NTP in the service console. For VMware ESXi, run NTP on the VMkernel".

What does this mean? i thought configuring the host as an NTP client is done through vSphere client regardless if the host is ESX or ESXi.

• 5.  RE: problem with keeping time in ESXi 4

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2011 02:32 PM

The NTP is configured on the VMware host, can be configured through the VI Client under Configuration> Time Configuration.