VMware Cloud Community
kohuser
Contributor
Contributor

problem with VMware converter 4

Good day,

I am having a bit of trouble with VMware converter 4 and I thought that you could help me out a bit.

I am trying to transfer a VM machine that has server 2003 32 bit installed on it, from one ESXI server to another ESXI server. The server needs to be exactly the same and after the transfer is complete, I intend to remove to "old" machine, and remain with the "new one".

I must admit that the process went rather well, and without any special problems. The one thing that did went wrong, is that the network adapters were imported without their addresses Smiley Sad and i have a lot of addresses on them and I would rather not insert them manually...

Does anyone know what does it happen? And how can I fix the Problem? or even if it is a possibility?

With thanks,

Itamar

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

if you think that there are changes on the source server when importing it to the new esxi host i would recomend you to power off the server.After that, you can copy the whole data to the other host. Check out your network (vSwitch) environment. It have to be similar to the old server. Maybe you do not have the same vSwitch Name on the new host. Check your Network settings for the vm. Is there any connected network?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
etsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import/Export your TCP/IP settings

Export your current IP settings to a text file. Use the following command:

netsh -c interface dump > c:
MySettings.txt

Import your IP settings

netsh -f c:
MyAnotherSettings.txt

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

This happens because you are creating a new VM. ESX will generate a new random MAC address to your NIC. If you want to avoid this, you will need to have the MAC address fixed before you convert, and after the conversion you will need to check (and change if is the case) the MAC to the same you had. You can do this on the Edit Settings > Network adapter.

The KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1179 explains some scenarios where this can happen.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
kohuser
Contributor
Contributor

The machine was turned off during the import, and the Vswitch's configuration is identical on both servers.

And as for your other answer, one NIC was connected and had it's addresses intact, while the other lost all prior network configuration.

thank you for your time though Smiley Happy

Itamar

0 Kudos
kohuser
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have physical access to the server since it is in the server farm... I will try it on my test system at the office and I will let you know.

10x Smiley Happy

Itamar

0 Kudos