VMware Cloud Community
jlgtls
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem with VDGA on ESX 5.5 and NVIDIA K4000 (on HP DL380P GEN8)

I am using NVIDIA K4000 GPU card on a HP DL380p Gen8 server with vDGA passthru.

Since I have upgraded to ESX 5.5U1, I get the following error message when trying to start the VM :

"Failed to register the device pciPassthru0 for 04:0.0 due to unavailable hardware or software support »

And in th vmkernel.log :

"Device 04:00.0 cannot be used for passthrough because of a conflicting memory region with VM's memory »

Server BIOS Firmware is latest.

Already tried to adjust the pciHole.start parameter and no go.

Tried to change the VM memory size to different levels and still no go.

VMs was working fine with 5.1U1.

Any ideas ?

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try to change the PCI slot of possible.

Is there no other setting in the BIOS that are relevant here, the naming is different from each vendor and is located in different places so have a look in all possible places in the BIOS.

Also make 100% sure that you have the latest bios version available from HP.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at this thread: vDGA support with HP NVIDIA K4000 passthrough

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
jlgtls
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Linjo,

Thx for your response, but I have already seen this thread and test all solutions mentioned here but was no help for me.

This thread seems related to ESX 5.1U1 wich worked fine for me too. I think the problem comes from my upgrade to 5.5U1.

Perhaps this HP Advisory is related :

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?aid=38293&aoid=35252&...

??

Also there is no MMIO option in the bios of the gen8 servers.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try to change the PCI slot of possible.

Is there no other setting in the BIOS that are relevant here, the naming is different from each vendor and is located in different places so have a look in all possible places in the BIOS.

Also make 100% sure that you have the latest bios version available from HP.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
jlgtls
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, apologize... All my host got the up to date BIOS except the one with the K4000... Don't know why we messed this one !

Anyway, after BIOS update, the K4000 seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Great! Thanks for posting back!

0 Kudos