VMware Cloud Community
dacampbell
Contributor
Contributor

problem recoverig VM from Datastore

Power was cut from my ESXi4.1 hyper-visor........I put back in the ESXi4.1 cd and booted chose the repair option.

It told me tat it also found a Datastore on the same HD that I just repaired, but that the system would be put in a special state and I should contact support at that point.

I have been looking to find out what needs to be done, but so far nothing concise that fits my installation of esxi4.1.

Can anyone offer some advice, help, or tell me where to look to find a solution. Essentially I want to recover the VM on th DAS harddrive.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does your Harddrive contain both ESXi OS data and the VM data ?  are they on seprate hard drives or partitions ? can you please eloborate

0 Kudos
RubyIvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi dacampbell,

If you are looking for fast recovery of the ESXi , you can reinstall the OS via iso and while installation chose the option "PRESERVE VMFS VOLUME" checked which will make sure that the local disk is not formatted.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
dacampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the OS and VMs are on the same physical HDD

0 Kudos
RubyIvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please follow the action plan I provided it will not affect your vm's.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
dacampbell
Contributor
Contributor

I did as you instructed and ESXi comes back up (repaired) but now I can't see the datastore on the HD.  How do I recover them?

0 Kudos