VMware Cloud Community
ravioli156
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem accessing network in VM

Hi,

I have a server with esxi 4, and I've created a new VM. My problem is that I don't know how to configure the ethernet card in my VM.

The server has only one ethernet adapter, with a public IP address. The network configuration is the default one of esxi : one physical adapter connected to a virtual Switch. My problem is that I don't know what IP I must assign to the VM eth0, and how I can tell that this public IP is connected to my VM. Here is my network configuration :

If someone can help me, I realize that I'm very bad when it comes to networking Smiley Wink

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It cannot be the same IP as the host. Try one up or down from the IP of the host. As long as nothing else on the network has the same IP. Make sure you have the correct subnet mask and default gateway (the IP address of your router)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

To connect your VM to the network right click the VM and edit settings. Then click once on the NIC and ensure that the connected box is checked.

Then you will configure your VMs networking just as you would with a physical server.

0 Kudos
ravioli156
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer, but my NIC is already connected

The thing I didn't catch is what IP address I must assign into the VM... the IP address of the physical server ? (188.165.12.54 in my case). Another IP address ? It cannot be the same IP, otherwise how could I access the VM if it's the same IP than the host ?

here's the capture of my configuration, I've tryed to assign the same IP in my VM than the host, but it didn't work... I cannot ping anything else than the IP of the VM

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It cannot be the same IP as the host. Try one up or down from the IP of the host. As long as nothing else on the network has the same IP. Make sure you have the correct subnet mask and default gateway (the IP address of your router)

0 Kudos
ravioli156
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct, I just found how to access the network, in Network Adapters there was the range of IPs allowed by the NIC... shame on me to haven't noticed this before

Thanks for all, and here is the screenshot in case someone else has the same problem :

0 Kudos
domb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I'm new to ESXi and this looks like a similar problem to me! Does this mean you can assign more than 1 IP address to the same NIC? I was going to bridge 6 NICs with ESXi and share use them with SBS so this would be my config:

ESXi host IP: 192.168.1.1

Virtual Machine 1: 192.168.1.2

Virtual Machine 2: 192.168.1.3

All of these using the same NICs... is this correct?

0 Kudos
pankajsharma1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you are correct, closly look into screen shot above,there is a range of IPs

0 Kudos
domb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats great thanks. I see ESXi acts as a switch for the virtual machines on different IP addresses. Very clever!

0 Kudos