VMware Cloud Community
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

port group using vlan 1

I just setup a Cisco UCS environment in one of our locations.  The Ethernet uplink ports go to Cisco 6500's.  The native vlan in our switching environment is set to 1000 not cisco's default of 1.  We are presently using vlan 1 for a corporate server vlan.  We have some older ibm xSeries ESXi servers in that location right now that are successfully configured to use vlan 1.  The trunk ports from the 6500's have that vlan as well as numerous others available to the ESXi servers.  The ESXi servers have a standard vswitch configured with port groups to include a port group for vlan 1 and it works fine.  vm's have no problems using vlan 1.  In the UCS environment I've just setup vm's in vlan 1 aren't able to access the network.  I've ensured that I set a new native vlan in UCS (vlan 1000) and I also ensured there is not vlan overlap whatsoever.  I configured my vnic templates for virtual machines will all the vlans needed to include vlan 1.  In UCS that are not native either so the round check box isn't checked.  I setup my ESXi servers and went to test connectivity and all vlans work except for vlan 1.  I opened a case with Cisco TAC and they are unable to find anything wrong.  They looked at the upstream switches and UCS and see nothing wrong with the configuration.  If I change the vnic templates to have vlan 1 as native vlan and then in the vswitch I go into the port group for vlan 1 and I remove tagging I all of a sudden get connectivity on vlan 1.  Can anyone explain what may be the issue?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is EtherChannel enabled on the ports?

0 Kudos
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From Cisco..

Note: Native VLAN is the VLAN that you configure on the Catalyst interface before you configure the trunking on that interface. By default, all interfaces are in VLAN 1. Therefore, VLAN 1 is the native VLAN that you can change. On an 802.1Q trunk, all VLAN packets except the native VLAN are tagged. You must configure the native VLAN in the same way on each side of the trunk. Then, the router or switch can recognize to which VLAN a frame belongs when the router or switch receives a frame with no tag. In the diagram in this section, VLAN 10 has been configured as the native VLAN. For interVLAN routing, be sure to configure the default gateway on all workstations that connect to the switches. This default gateway is the IP address that you configure on the subinterface. You create a subinterface on the router for each VLAN. In this example, workstation1 has been configured with default gateway 10.10.10.1. This gateway is the IP address of subinterface port channel 1.10. Workstation2 has been configured with default gateway 10.10.11.1. This gateway is the IP address of subinterface port channel 1.20.

Configuring EtherChannel and 802.1Q Trunking Between Catalyst L2 Fixed Configuration Switches and a ...

0 Kudos