VMware Cloud Community
petterbenjamin
Contributor
Contributor

pointing multiple domains to different VMs through one wan

Was thinking of setting up a router/firewall distro(eg. Zentyal) to handle all internal(VM) dhcp through internal vmswitch, and handle a subnet on a " green" nic. Don't know if that made any sence, writing this at 4 am, it bothers me that much: p

What I'm thinking is to set the wan(firewall red) to vnet01 and associating a physical nic to it (nic0), firewall green to vnet02 while also associating a physical nic to that one as well (nic1), nic1 will be connected to a switch to provide dhcp and Internet access to non-vms connected to the switch.

Setting static IP to esxi, so it won't take IP from ISP.

All VMS are on "green switch" vnet02, including esxi management.

Now I want to assign the domain "esxmgmt.com" to the esxi internal IP, while I also want to assign "fedoravm.com" and "ubuntuvm.com" too two VMs. All domain names which I should be able to access anywhere.

How do I set A-record on these domains?! External IP I know

But how do I point each domain to a different IP behind the firewall.

An other type of record?

A record server(DNS server?) on the same network and portforward DNS to that server?

Have checked out reverse proxy, but seams that it only applies to web-servers/application, and adds latency?!

Any thought's?

-Petter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HI Petter,

Not really sure this issue is VMware/ESX dependent and wouldn't be the same were you using a physical server you could pop more nics into and firewall easily.

Are you able to sketch out a quick proposal, even just in paint to show us what you are trying to achieve?

If you are just wanting requests to www.firsturl.com and www.secondurl.com to resolve to the same IP but display different websites, then the configuration for that is usually just in the referrer section of your website configuration.
e.g. if a request comes in tagged with firsturl.com then the config of your webserver knows to redirect that to c:\iis\site1 etc.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, as the saying goes, apologies if that is the case but it's not quite clear from the text description below what it is you are trying to get to with your green and red vnics.

Regards

Chris

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
petterbenjamin
Contributor
Contributor

I want firsturl.com, and secondurl.com to point to two different vms, tho the two are connected through an router which is also a VM, I'll try to make a drawing. ☺

Edit:  Link to drawing:Dropbox - vm2.png

Do I need a kind of domain server/routing server inside the green network?

Message was edited by: petterbenjamin

0 Kudos
petterbenjamin
Contributor
Contributor

Only thing I can think of is port forward, but I can't set a domain name to an IP with ports, can I?

And it will be a hasle port forwarding every time I setup something new on one of VMS..

Edit: what I want is to set a sub domain to each VM, so I can have management of esx at esx.domain.com, vm1 at vm1.domain.com, vm2 at vm2.domain.com etc... All of which is accessable from the Internet.

0 Kudos
petterbenjamin
Contributor
Contributor

If its to any help i am running zentyal as router. there i have dns control.
using cloudflare for domain name controll.

I would believe i need to set an A record to the external ip, but then i need to do something in zentyal, but i dont know what... setting up a domain "domaim.com" then adding hostnames, with alias. setting the A record to point to that alias. but i cant get it to work..

*have no idea what i am doing*

Been searching google, but i cant seem to find an elaborate answer

I would rather not port forward everytime

0 Kudos