VMware Cloud Community
shadynet2
Contributor
Contributor

pink/purple screen, could not start pcpu 1

Hi,

I am having a problem with an ESXi test machine.

As this one is not productive at all but used for testing, I still would like to get it running again.

Hardware is:

Intel Pentium G620

Asrock H61M/U3S3

8 GB RAM

4GB USB Flash drive for Hypervisor

1TB local storage

Intel NIC

Turned everything off in the BIOS which isn't needed (USB 3, SATA 3, LPT and RS232).

NX is turned on, VT is working.

Okay, so what's happening: refer to the picture attached, it shows the error (could not start pcpu 1)

What I've done: installed it, worked with it for a few days, installed some VMs (Debian, W2k8 R2), tested it. Worked flawlessly.

I've moved it from the location where I installed it and placed it one room away, next to the switch. Plugged in power and LAN, booted, pink/purple screen Smiley Sad

I can't find anything on the internet referring to that specific error which leads me to success.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Edit: Happens while "loading scheduler" appears on screen

3 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

It is a known problem of the Sandy Bridge based system.

Take a look installation stops with "can't detect last level cache"  and try to disable BIOS option "Max CPUID Value Limit"

shadynet2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

didn't find that option in my BIOS/UEFI, but resetting it to defaults and changing the settings I made (SATA3/USB3/LPT/RS232 off, NX on, same as before) helped.

Strange, but it works Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Solomanz
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem 2 days ago.

After cut off (or cut down---sorry ,I am very poor standard of English )the line of monitor、mouse、keyboard................It means using console port to operate the Server..

The problem is solved

0 Kudos