VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ping not working

I am using vcenter 6.0 u3 with distributed switch. I created a VLAN. I've connected a virtual machine to this VLAN.  ping does not work on some devices. ( running 10.10.10.10 ping  but not working 10.10.10.11 and 8.8.8.8 from this vm ) I moved the virtual machine to a different host than ping is working. I tried to get back to the same host again. ping is working. why some ip addresses won't work. why ping don't work some ip addresses? do you have any idea?

I also want to ask another question. I don't know if it might have anything to do with it. promiscuous mode is active on the port group

8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You most likely have upstream networking issues or inconsistencies. Unless we know much more details about your networking, it's impossible to say where the issue lies, but what we can say is it probably has nothing to do with the vDS.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You have 2 or more uplink for every ESXi on that vDS right?

Most likely for some of the Uplinks the Ports on the pSwitch are not configured right (eg. missing tagged VLAN) for that ESXi Host.

Did you enable the vDS Healthcheck? It will be check for VLAN misconfiguration.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes there are 2  nic for each ESXi

I'm not sure of that missing VLAN tagged.

I've enabled VDS Healthcheck. There is no VLAN error.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Reduce the number of uplinks so that on any given time ony 1 is active and all others are disabled for that portgroup. Than enable/disable the uplinks around to find the one which does not work.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to discuss the subject a little more.  There are 4 nics. it works when I remove 2 of them. there are 10 ESXi servers and the vlan10-vlan20-vlan30-VLAN-40 and vlan50.  the problem is in vlan 50. a virtual machine working on esxi01 with nic1 and nic2 but when adding nic3 and nic4 so the virtual machine is not working ping I moved the virtual machine to esxi02 then nic3 and nic4 is working but when adding nic1 and nic1 so the virtual machine is not working ping to 10.10 then I got this virtual server on VLAN 30 and 40 on esxi01 and esx02 all nics are working so ping is working.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

- NIC Port configuration

- Cable

- pSwitchport konfiguration

Try the non working one with a working pSwitchport. You should only be testing with a single Uplink so that you can be sure that the VM has to use this Uplink.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

With the existing Network loadbalancing options the ESXi spread the vNICs (or traffic) to the existing Uplinks. So tell us which LB option you are using.

Again.... reduce the complexivity. From what youre described it sounds like a misconfigurated pSwitch port (VLAN config) or the Uplinks of our pSwitch. Are the 4 pSwitches are stacked, iVLI, Multi Member Chassis or what?

If you dont toogle the Uplinks on the vDS around, which may effect all 10 Hosts, please create a new PortGroup named "test" and VLAN 50  and adjust the the number of active Uplinks so that on any given time only one is active and the other 3 are unused. If you know already a vmnic which isnt working start with that one

- Modify the VM Network to use this "test" Portgroup

- Change the network cable of that non working vmnic to the  pSwitch port which your ESX01/NIC1 is used

- Enable LLDP on your pSwitch and for the vDS so the topology plan can tell you where your vmic is connected to

Regards,

Joerg

ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we use route based on originating virtual port.

0 Kudos