VMware Cloud Community
racolo
Contributor
Contributor

performance question regarding backup

I'm fairly new to ESX, trying to figure out what would be the best setup for good file backup performance from within my VM

Main config: (vsphere 4i)

- 2x Gb nics for iSCSI connected to SAN per server

- 2x GB nics for LAN connected to the LAN per server

- VM running windows 2008 R2 (Fileserver)

-File backup from within te VM via LAN, getting data via iSCSI from SAN

I want to shorten the backup time by improving network performance (Tape is not running on max speed)

The backup software is dividing the backup over several streams

Would it help if I team the virtual nics inside the VM?

I've found several hints, some saying it would be faster and some saying it's not

Anyone tried this / knows what would be pro or contra....

Any help would be nice

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

A word of advice about backups and file copy in general.

DISK is the single most important element of backup, not network, not CPU not memory. DISK.

SELDOM if ever do backup devices saturate the network. Almost never, and I would venture to say CAN'T due to the way they compress / catalog during the backup process. An application isn't capable of flooding the protocol with enough data, considering the destination IO is crazy high. MOST disks cannot exceed the bandwidth (or even come close to maching) network / Fiber speeds. You need multiple streams of backup to allow you to fully utilize the NIC, but your disks most likely (because most people use cheap storage like SATA) won't be able to do much IO anyway.

Disks themselves are basically slow, even SSDD drives, still rely on the application layer for the transfer, and that's where the slowdown occurs.

2 iSCSI NIC's great for redundancy, won't help you in throughput. So don't configure this if you intend on getting speed for this purpose.

I want to shorten the backup time by improving network performance (Tape is not running on max speed)

This won't improve unless your VM's are able to get better disks, but then you are limited to throughput by the application itself. If Tape isn't running at max, its because of the source, there really isn't much you can do with VM Ware, as some of this is API related.

0 Kudos
racolo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the help

Data from the fileserver is stored on a SAN and can be retrieved over 2 GB iSCSI connection.

currently it seems that the SAN / iSCSI connection is not the bottleneck, but my LAN / Backup side is....

Backup unit is connected over 3GB SAS controller on a physical server with teamed nics

The only part not teamed at this moment are the nics inside the VM.

I would be interested in results other people had whith teaming nics inside the VM

0 Kudos
racolo
Contributor
Contributor

Performance issues haven't  been solved. (Needs higher priority Smiley Happy)

But in the mean time I think I know where to start looking.

There's only one virtual switch configured.

I think it's possible to configure more virtual switches.

That makes it possible to connect physical nics to different virtual switches.

Maybe somebode tried this before?

0 Kudos