VMware Cloud Community
LyleRyan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

performance monitoring tools: esxtop, vmkusage, VSphere Client,...

I've been reading through some old forum discussions and White Papers, and am confused over which performance monitoring tools are still available or useful under VSphere V4.

• esxtop: seems to be still available.  But are "Interpreting esxtop Statistics" and "Using esxtop to Troubleshoot Performance Problems" from V2 days still valid?

• vmkusage:  is this tool still used or available?

• are the graphs available in VSphere Client and VCenter the modern versions of these?

• does the ESX Server MUI exist anymore?  (referenced in "Comparing the MUI, VirtualCenter, and vmkusage")

• is the main place to read about performance monitoring the Appendix A in the Resource Management Guide?

Thanks to all for any pointers....Lyle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1)for esxtop yes it is valid and this link give you some good tutorial. you only look into esxtop/resxtop when there is a performance issue http://www.yellow-bricks.com/esxtop/

2) vmkusage is back since vcenter 2.5 update 4. it's not appearing as under performance tab under vsphere client.

3) MUI would now be replaced as vcenter web access but there is nothing much to be seen there

all and all it's vsphere client performance graph and esxtop for performance troubleshooting from my end. there are modern tools like vcenter operations if you are interested.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1)for esxtop yes it is valid and this link give you some good tutorial. you only look into esxtop/resxtop when there is a performance issue http://www.yellow-bricks.com/esxtop/

2) vmkusage is back since vcenter 2.5 update 4. it's not appearing as under performance tab under vsphere client.

3) MUI would now be replaced as vcenter web access but there is nothing much to be seen there

all and all it's vsphere client performance graph and esxtop for performance troubleshooting from my end. there are modern tools like vcenter operations if you are interested.

0 Kudos