VMware Cloud Community
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

obtaining license key for expired eval of vsphere hypervisor 4.0 (ESXi free)

I've tried searching the vmware website but am not having any luck, perhaps i'm just not looking in the right area or using the right terminology.

My problem, I have a host running hypervisor 4.0 free, it is in trial mode so I could test some vmware backup software (which I never got to). I'm trying to add a couple more VM's but it won't let me because the trial has expired. I simply want to register or obtain a license key for the free version with 2 physical CPU's for this host, but I can't figure out how to do that. Is this still possible? Can I not obtain a free license for 4.0? I'm just using this host as a temporary offload of VM's while we upgrade hard drives in another host. I could just wipe it and start over but the host has a couple VMs on it I cloned over to it using vmware converter from another host. I don't want to have to move them back as thats a 3+ hour process for each one.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can register for a free license key at http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the key is also good for 4.0.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ather_Beg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi MGregory1

Didn't you get a key mailed to you when you downloaded the ISO? If so, you need to enter that into Configuration -> Licensing. If you got the software from somewhere else and don't have a key, then get one by downloading another copy.

MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe I used a disc I had the ISO burned onto. I wasn't planning on using the trial more than 60 days, but as usual things don't go as planned.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do no need to rebuild the whole ESX host, all you need is to register the free key for ESXi (free edition), and enter into it.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone else? I've tried searching the vmware website but am not having luck finding an answer. It looks like I may have to offload these VM's and download a newer free version to get a key. I was really hoping to avoid this as it will take me a full day or two to get the VM's we were goign to temporarily have on this host.

0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes that is absolutley what I would like to do, however I can't find where to obtain this license key. I've searched all over the website and haven't found an answer. Perhaps I am missing it...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can register for a free license key at http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the key is also good for 4.0.

André

0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well that is the right page, thanks... not sure why I had trouble finding it earlier. But as suspected the key is for 4.1 or later... Maybe I can upgrade to 4.1?

EDIT: Well I put the key into my ESXi 4.0 host and it took it, despite saying it is only for 4.1 or later. So thats good...

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good to see it works.

If you want to update to Hypervisor 4.1 anyway (maybe later), here is a walkthrough.

André

0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks... this is just a temporary host so I don't think it will be necessary, the primary one is getting a hardware upgrade and going to ESX. But good to know there is an upgrade guide for future reference.

Again thanks for the help!

0 Kudos