VMware Cloud Community
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

not seeing datastore

Hey all,

very new to vmware so please bear with me. We had our admin leave a few weeks ago and I've had to start looking into taking care of the servers. On our box I cannot see the attached device (hp msa2000) showing in the datastore area under the config (it is running esxi 4.0). Whereas on our vcenter server with the esxi clients over the pond with the exact same hardware is showing the datastore as san-lun1 through to san-lun5 (these clients are esx 4.1.0). When I check the vsphere VM's on the 4.0 machine I can see that they are running oracle and are attaching to MSA via mapped raw lun drives. So my question is, why is this and is there a way to make the visible in the datastore listing to see what the total space available is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

although it's certainly possible to present the LUNs/datastores to the host, you first need to find out why it is not done currently. Maybe there are any reasons (e.g. compatibility, security, ...) for this. Did the admin leave any documentation or can you call him and ask?

André

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the HP MSA2000 box a freshly built esxi server?

0 Kudos
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

technically it was a fresh installation about a year ago. After it was setup it was never fiddled with again (no tweaking etc). The previous admin didn't leave on great terms so I don't see getting information from him as a possibility. Upon further investigation though, I see that if I go into the devices under the configuration in the client I see the raw mappings. They are all HP ISCSI 1 through to 12. Would this mean that the sum total is the full space of the drive or not? And if I wanted to present any outstanding space to a new VM, could I do so without ruining the current config (right now if I create a new VM only client machines local disks are available)?

James

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are there any VMs currently running on this box?

0 Kudos
James11111
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, currently there are 3 vm's on it.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are these VMs tied to the SAN or the local storage?

0 Kudos