VMware Cloud Community
dzu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

not connecting to esxi 5.5 from client

Hi

installed the esxi 5.5 on an xeon processor and configure the ip address and default gateway as required in vlan 10 . (the esxi box two networking  ports )

Then i connected my laptop to the first port of the esxi box .went to my web browser and typethe ip 192.168.15.35 to connect to the box and download the vsphere ,but nothing happened .

I even tried connecting via a cisco 2950 switch . still no luck .- Pings from the switch to the esxi box give the unreachable message response .the protocol stach on esxi box seems to work as the ping to 127.0.0.1 gives response .

any idea of what is going on ?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The DCUI is what you get with the keyboard and monitor. From there you go to your network settings and remove the VLAN entry you added.

Or you can make your Cisco switch port connected to your ESXi management interface a trunk interface and allow VLAN 10 across it. When you don't specify a VLAN setting for your management interface the frames are not tagged.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
toffza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi;

From the esxi console "DCUI" you can check the network adapters that are configured for the management. You also need to check the vlan configuration on the switch. If you specify the VLAN on the esxi configuration tab you need to confirm that the switch will permit that traffic.

On the switch configure the interfaces connected to the esxi network cards as trunk and allow vlan10.

If the interfaces are dedicated for the management i'll recommande you to not specify any vlan on the ESXI and rather configure the switch port as access on vlan 10.

You can check the configuration on the ESXI by pinging the default Gateway.

Regards.

0 Kudos
dzu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your the helping hand .

I am rather new at vmware , this installation is just a step  to my  cisco lab .so what is  DCUI  ?

How do i get there as i cannot even use the vsphere i understand is interface of esxi management  ?

For the rest of the steps ,i will check them and configure accordingly .

0 Kudos
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The DCUI is what you get with the keyboard and monitor. From there you go to your network settings and remove the VLAN entry you added.

Or you can make your Cisco switch port connected to your ESXi management interface a trunk interface and allow VLAN 10 across it. When you don't specify a VLAN setting for your management interface the frames are not tagged.

0 Kudos
dzu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a million .all is well now .

0 Kudos
dzu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just  to add that i connected the esxi box directly to my pc after removing the vlan i have configure earlier - so i did not use the  cisco switch after  all .

But i understand that a connection from my esxi box to the cisco switch will be a trunk connection ,meaning there is a virtual switch in the esxi box somehow .

thanks again and hope my contribution help somebody else

0 Kudos
toffza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos