VMware Cloud Community
jas111
Contributor
Contributor

no sshd installed?

hi there

i've tried to follow the instructions to enable ssh on esxi 4 server but still can't connect. i couldn't find a sshd on the box, is it not installed? how can i install it?

thanks

jas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
jas111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help! my problem is that i did follow those instructions..  there is no sshd process running and i can't find the executable sshd on the server. is it possible this isn't installed? ( i didn't install this and have no experience with esxi installation so not sure whether there are options to install or not).

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi uses dropbear to provide SSH server services so you won't find an sshd executable. Enabling SSH server services is different depending on the version of ESXi. What version of ESXi are you using?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jas111
Contributor
Contributor

from vSphere client, it shows VMWare ESXi 4.0., 208167

what provides inetd? now i do ps | grep inetd there is no such process running..my mistake was kill -9 instead of kill -HUP inetd. getting access to the console isn't easy, and perhaps that's the reason!

i can't connect to the VM's Console from vSphere any more, error is Unable to connect to the MKS: Failed to connect to server serverIP:902.

anyway to fix this?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

inetd is a very basic service. It is a listener and hands of an incomming connection to the appropriate service.

You can try a /sbin/services.sh restart

If that doesn't work I would suggest that you restart the ESXi host just to be safe

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This is the correct procedure to enable ssh on 4 http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

0 Kudos