VMware Cloud Community
saifvs
Contributor
Contributor

no luck - configured netflow on vds but unable to add to network anyalyser using IP

first of all I am pretty novice in vm world, I want to configure netflow on vds and send that to netflow collector.

followed the steps on vmware kb page, configured collector IP's and VDS IP

And the network collector I am using has an option to add device where I have to put the IP address of the device (usually routers and switches)

But which IP I should add to communicate with netflow collector, tried with VDS ip with no success, the configured vds IP isnt pingable either .

Is there any other IP that I should add to monitor the netflow, like vkernal or something.

I am using vmware exsi 5.5

any help on this will  be really helpful

3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The first two fields for IP address and port should be your NetFlow collector. The last IP address is used to identify the vDS as a single source rather than several disparate sources from your ESXi hosts. This last IP doesn't need to be a "real" or routable IP, it's just for reference in the collection.

saifvs
Contributor
Contributor

daphnissov​ thanks for the response, Yes it does send the flow to the collector but here the scenario is different, to see the flow from specific device I have to add the device with an IP address below, usually for other vendors I can give its IP addresses but since I cannot reach this VDS IP how will I do it ?

or is there a way I can configure VDS ip reachable somehow so that I can add that in the collector by putting the IP address.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

In the vSphere side you declare an IP for the vDS. It can be anything. On the collector side, use that same IP. That should be it.

0 Kudos