VMware Cloud Community
kkalyanp80
Contributor
Contributor

no cos nics found error during pxe boot for ESX 4.0

Hi,

I am facing the following problem while trying to PXE boot Vmware Vsphere (ESX 4.0). I get stuck at the following error which says " no cos nics found" Please find the screenshot attached for this.

Let me brief on what I am attempting to do here:

I am trying to PXE boot Vmware Vsphere on Vmware Workstation and have been successful to a point until I get this weird error mentioned above.

1) Vmware work station version used is 6.5.0

2) H/W confg:

Lenovo T61 laptop with intel core duo x86 processor and Virtualization enabled in the BIOS

comes with 2 nics, physical & wireless and 2GB RAM.

3) PXE server is running on RHEL5 32 bit platform. I have a DHCP,Kickstart and PXE server running out of that box. DHCP works perfectly fine without any issues however when it comes to a stage for indentifying the hostname,

ip and so on it says cos nics not found and I see my dhcp server trying to assign dynamic ip's and it also shows no acknowlegement signal.

I have PXE booted ESX 3.5 without any issues and it worked like a charm. This is first time I have run into problems like this. I have manually installed ESX 4.0 however it doesnt seem to use anaconda installer any more and

the kickstart file created post installation is very discrete and doesnt contain enough information to customize the script any further.

Please find the entry I have under the pxelinux.cfg directory on my PXE server:

label esx4.0

kernel esx4.0-vmlinuz

append initrd=esx4.0-initrd.img mem=512M quiet ks=ftp:///pub/kickstart/esx4.0.cfg ksdevice=vmnic0

I am also willing to share my kickstart script with you. Please find attached the script below. Kindly let me know how to proceed further. I would really appreciate if you could suggest if any changes need to be made to my

kickstart script.

Cheers,

Kunal

0 Kudos
0 Replies