VMware Cloud Community
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

nic teaming

hi! i'm using a ibm bladecenter s with cisco3110 sw module installed. This sw module has 2 logical links (1pair each with grp-channel configured) to our 2 core sw. I'm trying to configure nic teaming for one of my vm in one of the esx vshphere host, but in the Configuration>Networking>Physical Adapters, it showed VMNIC1 standby and VMNIC0 1000 Full. How do i enable both NIC to be active at the same time and able to support bandwidth of up to 2GBps?

here are some of the config from the sw module. Please advise. Thx

interface Port-channel1

switchport mode trunk

!

interface Port-channel2

switchport mode trunk

!

interface FastEthernet0

description MGT 1

ip address 192.168.70.127 255.255.255.0

!

#2 ports that are connected to vsphere host1

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description vsphere1 nic 1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,3-6

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

description vsphere2 nic 2

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,3-6

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

-

#Link config from cisco sw module to our core sw

interface GigabitEthernet0/15

description Uplink1 to core 1

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol pagp

channel-group 1 mode desirable

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/16

description Uplink1 to core 1

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol pagp

channel-group 1 mode desirable

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/17

description Uplink2 to core 2

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol pagp

channel-group 2 mode desirable

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/18

description Uplink2 to core 2

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol pagp

channel-group 2 mode desirable

!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

In the properties of the vSwitch ..... On the Host ....Configuration tab -> networking-> ->properties -> click vSwitch -> edit -> NIC teaming have you moved the NIC from standby to active there? Highlight the NIC and select move up.

If you are looking at the portgroup level you either need to move up to the vSwitch level or check the box to override vSwitch NIC teaming

Message was edited by: Chamon

Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried removing "channel-protocol pagp" ? (ESX dosn't support this Cisco p. protocol... unless you're using Cv1000 maybe?)

And the "channel-group 1 mode desirable" might need to be "channel-group 1 mode on", as ESX dosn't support LACP either...

/Rubeck

dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi Thanks tried to move that up...both r active now.

are u sayng if i'm using teaming in the esx level, then i do not need to configure group channel in my cisco sw (uplink to my core sw)? how about from my blade svr to the cisco sw module? is the trunk good enough or do i need to configure grp channel as well? thx

0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

i've not tried that....so...what are the config shd i configure on my sw? just trunk without port-channel at all? thanks.

0 Kudos
dlee_12
Contributor
Contributor

hi! the objective here is to achieve near to 2gbps of bandwidth for my vm....pls advise what' the best way to do this. thx.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Add the "port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip" to your Cisco and select the vSwitch policy "route based on ip hash". This should create a functional port channel for you..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos