VMware Cloud Community
Virtugirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

nexus 1000v

Hey Guys,

Hope this is the right place to post.

Im currently working on a inheritied design to put in a ESXi 5 solution with Nexus 1000v and a backend of a Cisco UCS 5180.

I have a few questions to ask about what people do in the real world regarding this type of set up :

In oder to use the Nexus 1000v - Do I need vCenter ?  The reason I ask is that it wasnt included on the original kit list.  I would say that we need virtual center for HA and vMotion but the clients wants to know if I can design what we have licenses for now and implement vCenter at a later date.

Ive been doing some reading regarding the Nexus 1000v as Ive never designed a soluton with one before.  Cisco recommend that 2 VSM's be implemented for redundancy.  Is this correct ?  Do I need a license for each VSM ?  I'm also assuming to meet this best practice I would need HA and vMoton and therefore vCenter ?

The VM's for the VSM's, can they sit inside the cluster ?

Thanks in Advance for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In oder to use the Nexus 1000v - Do I need vCenter ? 

Yes - the Nexus 1000v is a type of ditributed virtual switch and it requires vcenetr

Ive been doing some reading regarding the Nexus 1000v as Ive never designed a soluton with one before.  Cisco recommend that 2 VSM's be implemented for redundancy.  Is this correct ?  Do I need a license for each VSM ?  I'm also assuming to meet this best practice I would need HA and vMoton and therefore vCenter ?

I am not sure about the VSMs but yes HA and vMotion are required as part of best practices

Yes they cane xist inside the cluster -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In oder to use the Nexus 1000v - Do I need vCenter ? 

Yes - the Nexus 1000v is a type of ditributed virtual switch and it requires vcenetr

I am not sure about the VSMs but yes HA and vMotion are required as part of best practices

Yes they cane xist inside the cluster -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Virtugirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos