VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

nexus 1000v per cluster?

ho mny nexus 1000v should i deploy? I got a cluster with 8 hosts that runs a pair of nexus 1000v. If i setup a new cluster, do I need to deploy a new pair or nexus for the new cluster?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VSMs are used for control, not data. VEMs are installed on the hosts - those are what handle the switching.

-Andy VCAP5-DCA, VCP-DV 4/5, MCSE, space camp graduate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As long as the new cluster is going into the same data center (meaning the vCenter data center entity as a hard requirement, and the same geographical site as an availability recommendation), you can manage multiple clusters from the existing VSMs. If the clusters are going to be running different versions of vSphere, double check the 1000V compatibility matrices to make sure you're okay.

You do have the option of deploying a new pair of VSMs within the existing DC for a new cluster, but it's not required.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hi

If my second cluster uses the vsm on another cluster, will the traffic have to go through the vsm on the other clusters(hosts) physical network and bypass the existing hosts network? wouldnt this be a bottleneck on the vsm cluster?

0 Kudos
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VSMs are used for control, not data. VEMs are installed on the hosts - those are what handle the switching.

0 Kudos