VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

new vSAN feature -- which versions will get it??

Supposedly the new vSphere 5.5 vSAN feature is in BETA and everyone can try/use it.

Whenever it goes GA does anyone know which users will be cut off from using it??
That is, will it only be given to Enterprise Plus users or to Enterprise and Standard also??
It is so much better than VSA despite relatively more work to figure out networking that it should be for ALL versions...

Thank you, Tom

Tags (2)
10 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

I guess we will know when it's GA.

Might be the same procedure as it was with LogInsight, where it became a seperate license after Beta.

Regards

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may be right, sigh...maybe another clairvoyant vGuru who went to VMworld will bless us with additional information...

VMware is too expensive for SMBs despite being so rock-solid. Hyper-V has this built in already AFAIK.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Tom,

Do you have any documentation/blog post supporting that statement that hyperV already has a VSA? Or are you referring to other vendors providing this capability to hyper-V (eg Starwind)

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't remember now where I saw this, so I can't say I have anything to support my statement...my apologies.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

No issues.. have heard a lot of things are making their way into hyper-V and was interested to know if VSA was one of them Smiley Happy

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

StarWind is not a VSA on a Hyper-V. It does not run inside guest virtual machine rather it runs directly on top of a hypervisor turning DAS into high performance and fault tolerant SAN.

So it's already possible for more then a 2 years to do with Hyper-V what's still in beta with vSphere Smiley Happy Basically VMware team is on the right track with the product: VM-running storage definitely has issues

(guest VM overhead, NFS overhead as block level storage is always faster, scalability etc) and a) running on a hypervisor b) SAN rather then NAS are both a way to go.

---

Do you have any documentation/blog post supporting that statement that hyperV already has a VSA? Or are you referring to other vendors providing this capability to hyper-V (eg Starwind)

0 Kudos
Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From the current state of the product (and speed VMware team is catching up) I think ETA is ~6 months.

P.S. It was fun asking VMware team "why should anybody buy an entry level EMC?" and hear the answer "We don't know!" turning EMC people in the room RED Smiley Happy

---

Supposedly the new vSphere 5.5 vSAN feature is in BETA and everyone can try/use it.

Whenever it goes GA does anyone know which users will be cut off from using it??
That is, will it only be given to Enterprise Plus users or to Enterprise and Standard also??
It is so much better than VSA despite relatively more work to figure out networking that it should be for ALL versions...

0 Kudos
Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, Microsoft has a very broken vision of storage. So instead of the giving people ability to cluster hypervisor hosts using cheap storage and 10 GbE (something VMware eventually does

with VSAN) Micorosft insists people should buy expensive SAS disks, controllers, external SAS JBODs and run Clustered Storage Spaces. We don't want to repalce general purpose 10 GbE fabric with a switched 6 Gbps SAS fabric! So Microsoft is on the wrong way... And that's the place where comes StarWind Smiley Happy

---

You may be right, sigh...maybe another clairvoyant vGuru who went to VMworld will bless us with additional information...

VMware is too expensive for SMBs despite being so rock-solid. Hyper-V has this built in already AFAIK.

0 Kudos
Ravi_V
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know of anyone that has downloaded the VSAN beta? I got a download link from a CloudCred task, but it takes me to the vSphere download page instead.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos