VMware Cloud Community
mgiroux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

new installation on raid 10, boot error

Hi, i would like to know why i receive the error "boot error" after a fresh installation of esxi 4.0. I choose the first disk to install (4x750). Do i need to do something special before the installation ? Can i install on a raid 10 ?

my server is DL160 G5p

thanks to help me

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have a supported hard drive controller. The controller does not perform hardware raid and requires software drivers to work. ESX(i) does not support these types of controllers. You can try looking through http://vm-help.com to see if there are any custom files that may help you get up and running.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to add some more detail here. What hardware have you installed ESXi on? Is it on the Hardware compatibility list? What disk controller? ESX(i) is limited to slightly less than 2TB per LUN so you will need to make sure your arrays are broken in to lss than 2TB chunks.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - You should make sure your equipment is on the HCL - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mgiroux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, i have a DL160 G5p

i did a raid 10 so i have 1200gig free

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What hard drive controller? The DL160 G5 is not on the Hardware compatibility list. I will assume here that you have an embedded controller that does not have hardware RAID support. You might try installing ESXi to a USB stick 1GB or larger then work on the controller.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Moved to the ESXi 4 forums.

0 Kudos
mgiroux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a picture of my server about my raid controler. And the other picture is when i install esxi on the ubs key.

someone have any idea ?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have a supported hard drive controller. The controller does not perform hardware raid and requires software drivers to work. ESX(i) does not support these types of controllers. You can try looking through http://vm-help.com to see if there are any custom files that may help you get up and running.

0 Kudos
mgiroux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thanks alot for your help

0 Kudos