VMware Cloud Community
nats1
Contributor
Contributor

new hardware with ESXi 5.0

Can i ask how to add an unsupported proprietary pcie card device to esxi  5.0?

i think there are around 5 files to be prepared:

1. binary

2. map file

3. pci ids

4. xml/vib

Can i just copy and edit the existing map and ids file and create a tgz file  or do i need to use an application software for it?

i have read about "the anatomy of ESXi 5.0 installation and how to use it"

http://v-front.blogspot.com/2011/08/anatomy-of-esxi-50-installation-cd-and.html

but i didn't explain the non/new existing driver.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sivaksk147
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i think your looking for adding drivers to ESXI image right? you can do this using image builder using powercli, go through the below URL for more details

http://alexander.walden.de/2012/01/18/making-your-own-esxi-5-installation-image/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nats1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i think this is what i am looking for. i am about to install vSphere PowerCLI to do the instructions specified in the link you hae provided, thanks again.

0 Kudos
nats1
Contributor
Contributor

additional question.

i've seen and ids file like e1000.ids which has this label at the top of the file

# This file is automatically generated by pciidlib.py

# Any changes you make manually will be lost at the next build

# Please edit <driver>.xml for permanent changes.

is there an additional software application that i need to use to create something like this file or do i have to copy and paste then just edit to fit with my usage?

0 Kudos
sandhuramandeep
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello nats1,

Hope you are doing good. I know this question comes pretty late - but just wanted to ask were you able to resolve your issue above. Can you please help share the steps for this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos