VMware Cloud Community
bhavin66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

network connection

I had a DELL 410 with SAS6 1TB RAID configured with vmware 4 ESXi.

One day last week the cooling unit just decided to rain on the server rack and the server was done.

Afer drying the server i pulled out the HDD's and put it in another DELL 1950 server.

At first it showed all the erros like no HDD found and such. I went in RAID setup and did a import of the RAID and it said out of sync.So i let it do the "RESYNC" overnight and now server boot up perfect and comes to the ESXi console and shows me the IP.

But i am not able to ping the server from my desktop and am not able to connect from the vSphere client (obviously).

I was able to get in the "unsupported" mode on the console and both the nics show connected and "up"

I can see all the data intact.

Question.

1. How do i get the nics to start communicating on the LAN

2. How do i get the data out of the server to another drive, like a USB drive or something like that.

Please Help!!!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Use the menus in the DCUI on the console to reconfigure the networking.  The NIC order probably got shuffled in the process, and are connected but just on the wrong network.  Use the test management network options to ping out.  Once that is in order, use the vSphere client to connect to the ESXi box and copy your VM directories off.  Do you have backups you could use?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Use the menus in the DCUI on the console to reconfigure the networking.  The NIC order probably got shuffled in the process, and are connected but just on the wrong network.  Use the test management network options to ping out.  Once that is in order, use the vSphere client to connect to the ESXi box and copy your VM directories off.  Do you have backups you could use?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
bhavin66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Way to go Brian.

checkmark was missing in the network configuration.

I am in and making the backup copies now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos