VMware Cloud Community
bazmercer
Contributor
Contributor

netapp missing paths

Hi,

I have an odd problem where one of the controllers on our netapp fas3140 died over the weekend, everything failed over to the remaing controller as it should. However, the failed controller is now back and alive but there are no active fc paths to it. "Manage Paths" shows the ones to the previously dead controller as "dead". All the FC traffic is currently going over the vtic via the other controller. alua is enabled on the igroup. Rescanning the HBAs makes no difference. However, if I reboot the host (esx 4.1u2) the missing paths (to the previously dead controller) reappear correctly and show in "manage paths" as alive.

Anyone any ideas? I don't want to have to reboot all the hosts just to get the paths back. Not sure if this is an ESX issue or a netapp one to be honest, but the fact that some hosts can see the paths and it was working fine before makes me think it's an ESX one

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  bazmercer ,

Welcoem to communites.

Please follow below kb if not   .

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100397... .

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
bazmercer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply. How does that kb answer the question though? It simply shows me how to confirm the paths, which I've done, because I know they are not correct.

0 Kudos
brieffer
Contributor
Contributor

We've encountered a very similar problem.  Did you find a solution other than rebooting the ESXi hosts?

0 Kudos