VMware Cloud Community
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

need your insight on this

There is one Windows 2008 R2 VM.  We have VMware vCloud Suite Enterprise licenses

on all hosts(ESXi 5.5).  Currently, the VM has 8 vCPUs and we need to increase to 10 vCPUs.

But, the 8 is Maxium and can not add more.  migrated to different host and still

can not increase more vCPUs.  The CPU hot add is enabled.

Does it mean that we need to shutdown to add more vCPUs?  any reason?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert

The maximum number of virtual CPUs that you can assign to a virtual machine depends on the number of logical CPUs on the host, the host license, and the type of guest operating system that is installed on the virtual machine.

vSphere Documentation Center

A virtual machine cannot have more virtual CPUs than the number of logical cores on the host. The number of logical cores is equal to the number of physical cores if hyperthreading is disabled or two times that number if hyperthreading is enabled
--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,  other VMs on this host can be added more vCPUs without issue.  That's why I ruled out host core CPUs limitation.

right?  Do I need to shutdown?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Might be an OS limitation. Which Windows 2008 R2 edition is that (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter)?

As per Windows Server - Sockets, Logical Processors, Symmetric Multi Threading - Matthijs's blog - Site Hom... the limits are:

• Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition supports up to 4 sockets and up to 256 logical processors
  • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition support up to of 8 sockets and up to 256 logical processors
  • Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition supports up to 64 sockets and up to 256 logical processors
0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

addition:  some Windows 2008 VMs on this host can be added up to 32vCPUs.  Why 2vCPUs can not be added on this VM?

can not figure out why?

any idea?

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Then those other VMs are Win 2008 Datacenter edition and the one you are trying to add 2 more vCPU is an Enterprise edition. See my post above.

0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

I checked all these VMs and their OS is Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.

The VM which has issue to add 2vCPUs has only 8 processors shown in the task manager.  (logical processes).  far less than 256. 

Here is the configuration in CPU for this VM:

CPU: 8

Cores per socket : 2     Sockets:4

• Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition supports up to 4 sockets and up to 256 logical processors
  • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition support up to of 8 sockets and up to 256 logical processors
  • Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition supports up to 64 sockets and up to 256 logical processors

-----------------------------------

Can anyone help?  I am lost.

0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone help? I am lost.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach the vmx file of that problem VM to your next post

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hi theire,

i just remember as i had such issues where as i had taken over some very old vm's from earlier Esxi Builds. thinking was v4. and the vmx entries where differently to an fresh created vmx on 5.5 for example.

i faced the Problem in a maintenance window that i powerdoff but not able to get them online again. vcpu missmatch etc,...

i was about some month's ago and i changed the vmx entries on them.

i really don't remember which value it was, but i think this article could help:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101018...

Just as a Test, could you create a empty VM with same settings and trying to set that?

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I tried to download vmx file and I can not download due to role permission.  My vmteam to ask me to shut down the server

and add.

I really doubt that it would work since CPU hot add is enabled.

What should I look at vmx file?

Let me see whether I can get permission or not.

0 Kudos
jf2012
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Max,

Thank you for your sharing.  other VMs I can add up to 32vCPUs on this host.

Only this VM has issue.

0 Kudos