VMware Cloud Community
rickyv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

need to increase network speed on my vpshere 4.1 with cisco 3750

hi

i need to increase now my network speed on my vpshere 4.1 esxi with my cisco switch 3750.  the rdp application on the erp is now affected with speed.  what would be the best solution on this?  each host on my vpshere have two nics for the vm and vmotion network.  and each nic is 1G and cisco 3750 is 1G bandwidth.

add more nics for the vm network and separate vmotion network?  make all the nics of the vm network bonded for bid bandwidth?  or should i just prioritize rdp session in my cisco switch?  or all will help?

please help, thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Best practice is to seperate out management, vmotion, storage and VM LAN traffic from each other (or in the case of 10G, use QOS to rate limit and seperate each type of traffic....

In a typical server with 50 or so VM's on it, dual 1Gbit nic's are plenty of bandwidth for vm traffic...and in reality on blades I've seen 2x1Gb nic's handle all the traffic just fine...

RDP uses about 121kbits/sec of traffic per rdp session (on average)...I highly doubt that the speed of your nic's ar causing you performance problems, however you should easily be able to tell if you are having network saturation problems with a simple PRTG, MRTG or solarwinds type of monitoring.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Best practice is to seperate out management, vmotion, storage and VM LAN traffic from each other (or in the case of 10G, use QOS to rate limit and seperate each type of traffic....

In a typical server with 50 or so VM's on it, dual 1Gbit nic's are plenty of bandwidth for vm traffic...and in reality on blades I've seen 2x1Gb nic's handle all the traffic just fine...

RDP uses about 121kbits/sec of traffic per rdp session (on average)...I highly doubt that the speed of your nic's ar causing you performance problems, however you should easily be able to tell if you are having network saturation problems with a simple PRTG, MRTG or solarwinds type of monitoring.

0 Kudos
rickyv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

do you have some kind of documentation online regarding making two nics as 2G bandwidth and QOS?

Thanks.

0 Kudos