VMware Cloud Community
c0pie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

need to get the install packages for vmware tools

Hello,

Using ESX 4. I need to get the install packages for the vmware tools for each version of Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64), Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64), and Windows Server 2008 R2.

1. Where can I get them?

2. do they support unattended/silent install? I need to add them to an existing deployment routine.

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

all tools .iso files can be found on your ESX Host in

/vmimages/tools-isoimages/

There are way to push the tools, but part of the tools upgrade are the NIC drivers and you may lose some pings or experience high ping times to those guests.

An example of a push through AD is http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/how-to-install-vmware-tools-through-win...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

all tools .iso files can be found on your ESX Host in

/vmimages/tools-isoimages/

There are way to push the tools, but part of the tools upgrade are the NIC drivers and you may lose some pings or experience high ping times to those guests.

An example of a push through AD is http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/how-to-install-vmware-tools-through-win...

0 Kudos
c0pie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Troy, thanks for the info.

1) I only see one windows.iso file, which has a setup.exe and a setup64.exe, a 'vmware tools.msi' and a 'vmware tools64.msi'... so obviously there is a 32 and a 64 bit version, but do windows 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2 all use the same one?

2) Should I use the .exe or the msi?

3) I won't be pushing from AD, I need to initiate a silent install from my deployment system, which means I need to call the appropriate setup program and supply whatever parameters are necessary to make it a silent/unattended install. To save time, I figured I would check here first. Know what they are? I took a look at setup.exe /? from a 32bit windows 2003 guest OS and I see there is something called an 'administrative' install... is that what I should use? Where can I find info on what parameters to use?

0 Kudos