VMware Cloud Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

need to copy a file to the root directory..

Im using winscp to copy a netapp host utility, but it needs to be copied to the "root" directory and run from that directory.

Obviously using winscp I can only log in with a user account i created in esx and not root. How do I copy a file to the root directory??

This is what the Solution says to do, does this mean I need to copy the files to the root directory?

ESX Host Utilities install script fails when invoked in 'su' environment

Keywords: ESX VMware Host Utilities

Solution

Host Utilities needs the root environment, either by logging in as "root" or switching to root environment with su -

Install the Host Utilities in the root environment by executing the command: su -

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can use root - as long as you allow root ssh access - which is not advised.

Another alternative is to download Veeam FastSCP (free) and use this - with this you can authenticate using your non root account but you can elevate your priveleges specifying the root acount. This is the method and tool I use. You'll have to excuse my lack of Linux terminology Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can use root - as long as you allow root ssh access - which is not advised.

Another alternative is to download Veeam FastSCP (free) and use this - with this you can authenticate using your non root account but you can elevate your priveleges specifying the root acount. This is the method and tool I use. You'll have to excuse my lack of Linux terminology Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

OK - looks like you've just posted an update on your post when I posted my previous post....

Once you've got the file copied to the box - do as their solution advises - type su -

This will then prompt you for the root password - then away you go and install the host utility.

Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

WinSCP is also available for you to use to copy a file to the root directory of your ESX host from a Windows computer.

Download link for WinSCP:

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Datto