VMware Cloud Community
nicostraub
Contributor
Contributor

need help with esxi and iweb

Hi!

I'm trying to get my vms to connect to the internet and can't 'cause of iweb's ip policies. I followed the following document to the letter:

http://kryptiva.typepad.com/files/iweb-and-esxi-technical-1.txt

but can't get it working. could someone please help? tell me if you need to know anything

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest that you contact the company that did get it going. http://kryptiva.typepad.com/ and look at the February 9 2010 section. If iWeb has a forum I would ask questions there. You will need some direct help from iWeb.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
nicostraub
Contributor
Contributor

whoever works at iweb on the forum deleted my post, and besides they don't support it...

Please... I can ping the gateway from the bridge but not the internet. The problem basically is that iweb gives you one primery ip and a set of secondary ips on a different subnet. these secondary ips don't have a gateway so you have to put a bridge to let the vms communicate to the primary ip's gateway.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
nicostraub
Contributor
Contributor

the strangest thing happens... I can ping the remote server from my home but not back, server can't ping anywhere but its gateway :S

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The solution your first link provides is not ideal as you're dependent on the VM for access to your ESXi host (unless you can get remote KVM access).  You might want to look at their co-lo services which seem to come with 6 IPs.

0 Kudos
nicostraub
Contributor
Contributor

The primary IP (the one with that sees the gateway) is assigned to the esxi host. the first secondary ip to the guest with the bridge and the rest to the actual vms. it's so strange 'cause I can ssh into all vms behind the guest and ping the gateway without problems but if I ping for example google.com (by ip) I get a hop from the bridge to the gateway and then no answer.

I'm starting to suspect the problem is in iweb and generated a ticket but it's odd since last week it was working fine with windows and vmware server :S

Regards!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have the IP KVM?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jfdurocher
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on a solution ?

I'm trying to do exactly the same here. But following the instructions dos not work.

0 Kudos
LuchoEspitia
Contributor
Contributor

Hola Nicostrab, soy usuario nuevo de iWeb y no he podido hacer que funcione la conexión hacia y desde internet de las máquinas virtuales. SEguí los procedimientos de los foros y no dan resultado, pudiste hacer la funcionar.

Gracias por la ayuda

0 Kudos
jfdurocher
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to make it all work using a bit of the instructions below but had to change some things

Here are my findings and new instructions. Hope it helps everyone

http://www.jfdnet.com/2011/02/using-vmware-esxi-on-an-iweb-dedicated-server/

0 Kudos