ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 06, 2010 12:28 PM

Hi,

I am working on migration from vmware server to vmware esxi. I would like to know the required host configuration which could run 10 to 15 VMs ( running on Esxi ).

Kind regards

• 2.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 06, 2010 12:37 PM

You need to be more specific. What are the specs on the proposed VMs. Do you have a server vendor in mind?

What is your budget?

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

• 3.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 06, 2010 01:52 PM

hi,

Specs :

• OS guest : windows 2003 server with oracle base

The vendor will be DELL . I don't have an idea about the budget ,but now that's not a problem.

Thank for your help

• 4.  RE: need help for host configuration
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2010 10:01 PM

Specs :

• OS guest : windows 2003 server with oracle base

That is no spec… The database could be from low load CMS to heavy loaded SAP systems.

What kind of hardware is driving your VMware Server? CPU, RAM, Disk-Subsystem? One Server, several servers?

Why migrate, if you are ok (aren't you)?

The vendor will be DELL . I don't have an idea about the budget ,but now that's not a problem.

Ask yourself about the SLA needs, high availabilty? Large storage (SAN needed?), howto backup? There are several pre-configured systems available from Dell (including licenses).

• 5.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 07, 2010 11:16 AM

We have about 100 vmware server running on 40 dell hosts, the host information ( RAM, CPU,...) is on attached file. Waiting for your help.

Best regards

• 6.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 07, 2010 12:45 PM

I couldn't open that file, seems to be kind of Office?

As mentioned earlier, you should be more specific about the guests, that will run on your ESXi.

From your infos, I assume you got 40 Hosts running 100 guest. You wan't to consolidate the same 100 guests on fewer hosts.

Are these guests database servers (only) or are they running other stuff (IIS)? What are your service level needs? If you are running on fewer hosts, higher SLA could be necessary!? Do you own shared storage (SAN)? If not, it could be time to think about.

• 7.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 07, 2010 01:02 PM
      |   view attached

Now the file is a PDF, you will find information about the 40 hosts that are running 100 vmware servers.I'm working on the migration to Esxi, as you said we want to use only 3 hosts for 100 vmware servers (with windows 2003 server as VM guest OS for all VMs ).

Best regards

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: need help for host configuration

Posted Jul 07, 2010 01:42 PM

I'd say, your quite difficult to counsel :smileysad:

Perhaps you go and mandate a (paid) consultant that know your business.

You own 40 x 4 Cores and 40 x 4 GB RAM. Let's say your chosen host os (XP 32Bit) consumes half the RAM und a quart of the CPU. Remaining 80 GB RAM and 120 CPU Cores (with 3 or 2 GHz). That way your guests are running well (I assume) and are doing some kind of whatever.

This way, you may (!, in theory) need three servers with each 32 GB RAM (the more the better) and 40 Cores each. I dunno a Dell with 40 Cores and I doubt you really need that much, but it really depends on what these guests are doing (from idling around to xK tpm/C database transactions).