VMware Cloud Community
dean1952
Contributor
Contributor

need help configuring storage adapter - ESXi 4 (associate host bus adapter with vmknic)

in vSphere client - iSCSI Initiator dialog for 'Dynamic Discovery' (of Send Targets) displays this message:

"The host bus adapter is not associated with a vmknic. To configure targets the adapter should be assocaited with a vmknic. Refer to the doc..."

My eyes are blurry from reading the doc and my fingers are sore from googling ... can someone help? How do I associate a bus adapter and a vmknic.

I've been trying to stay away from the CLI - where I know I can do some damage .. but ran the esxcfg-vmknic -l command and rec'd this:

vmk0 Management Network IPv4 10.0.1.25 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.255 00:21:9b:a0:c4:bc 1500 65535 true DHCP

vmk1 VMkernel IPv4 10.0.1.80 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.255 00:50:56:7c:83:82 1500 65535 true DHCP

Networking view is attached.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you setup the Networking side of the configuration? If not you may want to go under the Configuration Tab and go to Networking and set things up there first. Then try to setup the iSCSI.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I wouldn't try to put everything on a single physical NIC... Especially one that's only running at 100Mbps. Add another supported NIC (if you don't already have one inside the host) and set it up for iSCSI traffic. If your iSCSI target, and network switch, support jumbo frames, enable that via the CLI commands... I would use the vMA to do this under ESXi. If you don't have jumbo frames support on the entire string/chain, then you won't need to enable it on the host. BUT, if you do plan on going that direction later, you might want to at least put it onto the host configuration. That way you won't need to destroy the vSwitch later when you do want to enable it.

I would also have enough NIC's to place the management network on it's own connection, then the VM's on their own set. I do this as SOP when setting up hosts, even in my lab environment. Network connections IS one of the important items you need to proplerly allocate when you're setting up a host... While the minimum you need to run ESX/ESXi is one, you really do need more if you're going to run VM's and use a NAS/SAN... I find that you should have three or four ports to run a lab environment (under ten VM's) and at least two more if you're planning to use a SAN/NAS for the VM's to reside upon. Typically, I spec out a minimum of six to eight network ports on each host, with ten being even better (allowing for full redundancy, and splitting some of the iSCSI type traffic). I would also go with Gb network hardware across the board. Even in a lab.

Network Administrator

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
dean1952
Contributor
Contributor

ok. I'll consider all of this ... but this doesn't answer my question: how do I associate the vmknic with a bus adapter?

0 Kudos