VMware Cloud Community
mvellon
Contributor
Contributor

n00b question: Hopelessly confused re: licensing

I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but the posts that I've found on this site and through Google have not been helpful.

Here's the situation:

1. I've downloaded the "free" version of ESXi 4.

2. I've installed it.

3. I've connected to it via browser.

4. I've downloaded VSphere 4.0 client and run it (all seems ok).

5. It's telling me that I have an unlicensed ESX and that VSphere is only good for 60 days.

What do I do? I have the license key originally listed in the ESXi download page. I've not received any related email from VMWare. I don't see anywhere to enter the key.

Additionally, the browser interface suggests that I "Download VMWare VCenter" but when I click on that, I'm sent to a www.vmware.com page where any attempt to click on a "Download" button gives me an error that says "you are not authorized to download VMware vCenter Server 4 and modules."

What do I need to do? If I don't want to pay for a VSphere client and/or VCenter license, how am I supposed to manage my ESXi VMs?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Without a license number attached to an ESXi host it runs in evaluation mode. It has all the features enabled. If you login to the VMware website you should be able to download and install vCenter. vCenter is something you pay for but you would be able to evaluate it for the 60 days. If you just want to add your license to the ESXi host login to the ESXi host with the vSphere client. In the Configuration Tab / Software / License section add your license number and you will be fully licensed. The advanced features will go away. During the 60 days however you can switch back and forth between licensed and unlicensed features by changing you license mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The vSphere Client is a free item. Once you have your license number entered the 60 day prompt goes away.

0 Kudos
mvellon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I now have a licensed ESXi.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Excellent.

If you haven't seen these they can be a big help getting started

ESXi Quickstart

Webcast

Guide

0 Kudos