VMware Cloud Community
allan_dayton
Contributor
Contributor

multiple processors assigned to VM show up as only one processor in perfmon (windows)

I have an installation that we did P2V migrations on several physical machines...There was a mix of Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server. After the migration, the machines that had multiple processors as physical machines came over with multiple processors as VM's. However, when looking at the processor utilization in Windows performance monitor, there were several machines that only reported one processor when in reality, the VM was assigned more than one processor (some dual processor and 1 quad processor).

I have tried all the different possibilities I know to fix the problem, but it remains a problem. I have unassigned multiple processors going down to just one processor and then shutting the machine down and adding processors.

The migrations took place either with VMware migration tool or in some cases (where VMware didn't work) I used Vizioncore's vMigration tool.

We (the customer and I) have decided to just recreate the windows 2000 machines on new VM's and simply transfer files, but there is at least one 2003 server that we cannot do that easily...It is a production VM running some SQL apps and has approximately 500 GB of data.

I was hoping some of you may have run across the oddity and can assist me in dealing with it.

Thanx for your help in advance...

Allan Dayton

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Did you go into each VM and remove the ghost hardware post p2v processing?

Which service pack is the win2k3 VM running??

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
allan_dayton
Contributor
Contributor

I did not do any kind of post processing to remove ghost hardware. I thought that was only for I/O adapters like Ethernet... and they usually don't pose a problem, so I haven't...Where do the ghost processors show up?

The server I did screen shots is running SP2 currently.

Allan Dayton | Senior IT Consultant  - Data Infrastructure Practice | Pomeroy

A Mobile: (502) 572-5356 | M Home/Office Phone: (502) 228-8871 |0 (E)Fax:(866) 582-2846

@ Email: adayton@pomeroy.com | @ Droid X Email: allan.dayton@gmail.com

Accreditations: SCSA,SCNA,Sun Storage,RHCT,HP Master ASE,VCPVI3,Symantec EV-NBU-BUE-SF STS Certified, IBM x-and p-series certified

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

ALWAYS remove ghost devices/hardware from any system that's been run through a P2V conversion process. It makes more sense to take the little bit of time to do this, than have issues with the VM later (and wonder why it's performing like ass)...

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.

3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.

4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.

5. Right-click the dimmed device, and then click Uninstall.

I've set this as SOP for any system that's been converted/run through a p2v process... I've seen more benefit from taking the few extra minutes to do this than leaving the ghost hardware inside the VM. I've also spoken with engineers at VMware Premier partners that also highly recommend doing this for any p2v converted system. I would even do it on a physical box to make sure the device manager isn't clutter with items for now removed hardware. As I said, it only takes a few moments to go through the process... Very little time, for very large gain.

Can you confirm that the VMware Tools are installed on the VM's?? That the version is correct for the host they're sitting on too...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos