VMware Cloud Community
seasoner
Contributor
Contributor

moving web server form physical server to vmware esxi machine

We've got an up and running web server on a physical server for couple of our site.

Now we want want to move this web server from the physical server to the a temporary vmware machine pending time to prepare the final resting place(esxi 4). We are trying to minimise down time as these sites are our main sites.

The assistance I need is how can this be achieved as soon as possible that is ultimately be able to move this sites to the esxi 4 as host with OS Debian sarge as guest. All EYES are on me for this task and time is a luxury that I haven't got . The physical server is fujitsu siemens R300 S3

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the free VMware Converter Standalone to move a physical machine to ESX(i). As soon as you have it on ESXi you can easily move it to ESX, depending on your infrastructure.

If you web server is W2K3 you don't need to reboot it when you use the VMware Converter to migrate it while it is online. You just need to enable VSS.

If you have W2K one rebbot is needed to install the open file agent.

Look here: http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos