VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

moving host with same CPU type to EVC cluster not admitting

I got a HP BL460C server gen9 with cpu

Intel E5-2690 V3 @ 2.6GHZ that I am trying to add to a evc cluster that has hosts with the exact same model, cpu processor type but not admitting the host. Ity is asking me to shutdown my VMs.

why do I have to do this withthe same hardware/cpu type?

my procedure was

1. disconnect the host from one cluster - successful

2. move the host to the new cluster - successful

3. connect the host to the new cluster - failed

any idea why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That explains why you need to shutdown the VMs.

The available CPU features are exposed to a VM at power on. Since the VMs were powered on with the Haswell features, vCenter will/can not allow to host to be added to the Sandy Bridge cluster.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AyoubSouihel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi ,

did you check this KB ? VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which EVC level is configured for the cluster? The CPU model that you've mentioned is "Intel Haswell Generation".

If you are trying to add the host to an EVC enabled cluster with a lower EVC level, you need to shutdown all the VMs because they may currently see more CPU features that available with the configured EVC mode.

If EVC is set to "Intel Haswell Generation", then you may need to compare the ESXi hosts' BIOS/Intel-Microcode version.

André

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am moving from a EVC disabled cluster to a EVC enabled cluster (Mode Intel Sandy Bridge)

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 8.57.55 AM.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That explains why you need to shutdown the VMs.

The available CPU features are exposed to a VM at power on. Since the VMs were powered on with the Haswell features, vCenter will/can not allow to host to be added to the Sandy Bridge cluster.

André

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok got it. Thank you

0 Kudos