VMware Cloud Community
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

moving a ssd from mobo 3gb connector to a 6gb connector

Esxi ver: 6.7.0.U3 (Build 17167734)/freeLic  
Home lab

i have four SSD's connected to this asus mobo. three to the 6GB connectors and one to a 3GB connector.
another 6GB connector is available now as the drive that connected to it was removed.

so, is it possible to take the ssd connected to the 3GB connector and connect it to the available 6GB without damaging the VM installed on it?      there is only one VM installed on it taking up the complete drive.

trying to think of the steps i would need to do ...

the uuid will change, yes? so i would need to create a new datastore when esxi restarts ?
  would i need to unregister the VM on this drive before disconnecting/reconnecting it? reregister it once esxi restarts

any other considerations/advice ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Personally, I don't think it will have any consequences for the VM if you reconnect the drive to another connector. I think you can remove the VM from the inventory, unmount the datastore, then disconnect/reconnect the drive and scan your storage. It must recognize the datastore that is on the disk and you can import the VM. But to be safe create a backup first.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Personally, I don't think it will have any consequences for the VM if you reconnect the drive to another connector. I think you can remove the VM from the inventory, unmount the datastore, then disconnect/reconnect the drive and scan your storage. It must recognize the datastore that is on the disk and you can import the VM. But to be safe create a backup first.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you for your reply.

those clear steps is what i was needing as i was still a bit fuzzy with the steps in my head.

it's 1TB SecurityOnion VM so once the backup is done i'll implement your steps.

appreciate your help!!

0 Kudos