VMware Cloud Community
Tim_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

missing vSwitch0

Hi all -

I've got two new Dell R710 servers with ESXi embedded installed on them.

On my second server, I keep loosing the vswitch0 that my management network is on, making it impossible to connect via the vsphere client. I wind up having to reset everything through the esxi console. When I look at the nic settings for vmnic0 it say's it is connected to nothing...vSwitch0 is missing/gone.

It's a basic setup: I've got my VM Network and management network on vSwitch0 going through vmnic0. I then have a second vSwitch for VM traffic, with a few vmnics connection to it. This works great on the first machine.

I can ping the IP that vmnic0 is using. I just cannot connect with vSphere client - I get a timeout error message. Confused why vSwitch0 just goes away...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The fact that you can ping it seems wierd as this usally would require it to be bound to a vswif which then would require it being bound to a vSwitch..

Never seen that before...... Are you sure that the IP you're pinging is indeed the ESXi host? What is the mac address behind the IP you're pinging.. I mean, maybe an IP conflict occurs which makes it go bogus?

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is vswitch0 just missing from the inventory or are you missing the vmnic0? To rule out the physical NIC can you use anothe NIC on the host for your management traffic -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Tim_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vswitch0 is gone from what I can tell. Looking at the properties for vmnic0 in the esxi console shows that it is not connected to any vswitch. vmnic0 is there and does answer to pings, I just cannot access the admin interface using vsphere client. If I reset everything from the console, I can then access the management network no problem. It's not until after I setup vSwitch1 that vSwitch0 dissapears.

FWIW - I setup the other esxi host the exact same way and have not had any problems whatsoever.

Tim

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The fact that you can ping it seems wierd as this usally would require it to be bound to a vswif which then would require it being bound to a vSwitch..

Never seen that before...... Are you sure that the IP you're pinging is indeed the ESXi host? What is the mac address behind the IP you're pinging.. I mean, maybe an IP conflict occurs which makes it go bogus?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree Rubeck - since you are getting a ping response that means the vswif and vswitch are workins otherwise there would be no response - I agree it might be an IP conflict -

Tim_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks - that was it (ip conflict) I should have checked that first off.

0 Kudos