VMware Cloud Community
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

migration from 6.0 to 5.5

Hi

I have a situation, that I want move the VM from esxi6.0 to esxi5.5 host and the vCenter is 6.0.

When I am trying to migrate VM (H/W version is 10) from esxi 5.5 to esxi 6.0, I am able to see the esxi 6.0 and esxi 5.5 hosts under webclient-->migrate-->change both compute and storage resource --> select compute resource. There is no shared storage between esxi 5.5 and 6.0.

But when I am trying to migrate the VM from esxi 6.0 to esxi 5.5 , I am not able to view the esxi 5.5 host under webclient-->migrate-->change compute resource only / change both compute and storage resource --> select compute resource (no error message is displayed).

If I use legacy client and tried to migrate the VM from esxi 6.0 to esxi 5.5, I am unable to migrate back the VM due to their is not shared storage.

So is there a procedure or steps that, VM can migrate back from esxi 6.0 to esxi 5.5 host?

Thank you in-advance for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There might be hardware level issue when you migrate to lower version. ESXi 6 supports 11 more than 10, and ESXi5 supports up to 10 only. Probably you can do a V2V for lower level hardware version support. Or build a new template and attach old version disks.

0 Kudos
VMVI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply.

0 Kudos